Baked by Ally is back and she’s got us struck by love with these Chocolate Cupcakes! No need for Cupid, serve these to your Valentine and you’re sure to be irresistible.
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup semi-sweet baking chocolate
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
What You’ll Need
Directions: ~12 Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stir until smooth and set aside to cool.
- Sift together cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and baking powder, set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream together eggs, both sugars and vanilla.
- In a steady stream add the butter/chocolate mixture and stir until smooth
- Add half the dry ingredients followed by half of the buttermilk. Alternate until thoroughly combined. ** Be careful not to over mix. Batter will be thick.
- Divide batter evenly among liners (should be ½ full)
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool completely before frosting
- Cream butter and hazelnut spread until combined
- Add milk and vanilla in a steady stream
- With the mixer on low, add the powdered sugar and mix until incorporated
Increase speed to high and beat until smooth and thick (add more powdered sugar if necessary)
- Melt remaining chocolate hazelnut spread in a shallow bowl
- Take cooled cupcakes and dip each of them in the spread so that the top is generously covered (but doesn’t drip over the edges)
- Place cupcakes in the fridge for 10 minutes so that the spread can cool.
- Once cool, remove from fridge and frost/decorate to your liking!
- Cupcakes can be stored in the fridge for up to one week.**Cupcakes can be frozen unfrosted/undecorated for up to 3 months