There is no better way to stay warm this winter than with our healthy and light recipe for creamy potato soup! Makes about 8 bowls.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil,
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 ½ onions)
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound cubed peeled baking potato (about 2)
- 1 pound cubed Yukon gold potato (about 4)
- 5 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound cauliflower (about 1/2 head)
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup fat-free fromage blanc (such as Vermont Creamery) or sour cream
- 2 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Cutting Board
- Dutch Oven
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- Food Processor/ Blender
- Baking Sheet
- Mixing Bowl – Large
Chop the garlic and green onions, peel and cube the potatoes, cut cauliflower into florets and set aside. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and coat the bottom. Add onions, thyme, and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Once the onions are tender, add potatoes, stock, ½ teaspoon salt, and the bay leaf and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot and reduce the heat and let simmer for 35 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Stir occasionally.
After 35 minutes, remove from heat and discard the bay leaf.
Directions Cauliflower * while potatoes simmer
Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon oil, cauliflower, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl and coat well. Roast at 350° for 20 minutes or until browned, turning once. *Watch carefully as they burn quickly.
Place cauliflower mixture and milk in a blender or food processor. In order to allow steam to escape, remove center piece of blender lid, secure blender lid on blender, and place a clean towel over.Blend until smooth then pour the cauliflower mixture into a large bowl.
Add half of potato mixture to blender and pulse 5 to 6 times or until coarsely chopped. Pour into thr bowl with the cauliflower mixture. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
Place cauliflower-potato mixture in Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 cup green onions, and fromage blanc. Stir until fromage blanc melts.
Top evenly with remaining green onions, cheese, and bacon.